Today’s treat doubles as breakfast and dessert! Bake in bulk and freeze extras for an easy, healthy snack later!!
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup butter milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini, moisture slightly squeezed out
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together: flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. In a small bowl, whisk together: buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon till combined. Do not over mix!! Gently stir in the grated apple, zucchini and chopped apple.
Fill the prepared muffin pan with the batter (fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full). Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and ENJOY!!
OPTIONAL! After pouring muffins and before baking in over, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top to create a crispy and sugary top